Perhaps one of our best known Catholic practices is the special devotion that we hold to Mary, the Blessed Mother during the month of May. We dedicate this month to our Blessed Mother with special events like May crowning, public recitation of the rosary, which sadly are not widely held anymore.
But, we can take this opportunity to renew our own devotion to the Mother of God by dusting off our rosary beads and giving time to this beautiful prayer.
Try a weekly routine, maybe on Sunday with your children. Or, be brave and commit to a daily rosary! Two of the many free apps that have guided recitation of the rosary are “Mary; The Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception” and “Laudete.” Both have an auto option so that you can just listen and pray along.
Parents, in particular, should encourage Marian devotion in their children, since the non-Catholic Christians they encounter today often downplay (if not denigrate) the role that the Blessed Virgin played in our salvation through her joyous "Yes" to the will of God.
May our Mother Mary pray for us and bless all of us with a refreshed, inspired love for her Son!
- Monday and Tuesday classes come to a close for the year on May 7 & 8. Families meet in church at 6:45 p.m. After our student presentations, please join us in the church hall for refreshments!
- Sunday class continue on: May 20 and June 3.
- Thursday, May 10 is the Feast of the Ascension of Jesus to Heaven. This is the 40th day of the Easter Season and a holy day of obligation. Check the bulletin for Mass times. Sunday, May 20 is Pentecost and the end of the Easter Season leading to Ordinary Time.
- First Communion reminders:
Practice for Sunday Mass: Thursday, May 3, 6:30 p.m. in Church
Saturday, May 5, First Holy Communion, 4:30 Mass; children be in the church hall at 4:00.
Sunday, May 6, First Holy Communion, 10:00 a.m. Mass; children be in the church hall at 9:30 a.m.
- Confirmation parent and student meetings will be held Monday, May 14 and Thursday, May 17. Students in grade 10 will receive a letter outlining more information. Choose one of these meetings to attend.